Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: The (Chequered) History of Talkin' City Dot Com  (Read 9751 times)

The Pupi

• Supreme Shithouse Cleaner
  • Administrator
    • Erm... this one! Talkin' City
The (Chequered) History of Talkin' City Dot Com
« on: 03 March 2008, 12:45:37 AM »

The (Chequered) History of Talkin' City Dot Com

Talkin' City began life around March or April of 2000. I'd been doing the Blue View website for at least a couple of years but, a few months after the Rivals takeover, things didn't really work out so I set about doing my own thing. After coming up with a name, designing graphics, buildiong a site etc, I created a message board that had no users. At the same time, disillusioned with BlueView, Chinnor had set up his own City board. Seeing as we''d been mates for a good few years it seemed logical that we combined forces, which we did, to create a (in our vision) "thinking man's alternative to BV. Over the years we like to think we achieved this, going from strength to strength and adding Skint, Rocket and Tragic to the "team"along the way. A couple of years ago however, things weren't going too well. The site was taking up more and more time and causing more problems than it seemed worth. It was this, along with personal stuff, that led to our decision to close the board. Temporarily or permanently was never really discussed, we just closed it and that was that. Colin (Wookie), who was a TC admin at the time, graciously offered to provide a "home" message board for TC users on his website (which I think he called TC exiles initially?). This home, over the past couple of years, has become a very good City board in its own right and one to which all of TC's admin and most of our users regularly contribute to.

We decided on a Talkin' City comeback in January 2008, for no other reason than it was time. We haven't come back to step on anybody elses toes or anything - in fact we've made great efforts NOT to do that, we came back "just because"...

We use the Talkin' City name because it's ours. I own talkincity.com - as has been the case since the very early days of the site. We still had the server, the webspace and the bandwidth required so we thought "why not?". The site is totally self-sufficient - paid for these days by hosting other sites: a couple of City ones, a small cricket club, as well as hosting the official website of a (soon to be promoted hopefully) non-league side from the conference south. This, of course, means TC will continue to remain advert and sponsor free as we have throughout (90+% of) our history. We don't make any profit or gain whatsoever from Talkin' City, never have and never will, it's never been about money for us (unlike some). By the people, for the people and all that. We've got a great service provider who gives support 24/7 who we've been with for a long time (after living a somewhat nomadic existence for the first 3 years or so) and everything is in place to improve and expand should the need arise.

I personally am very proud of what the original TC site achieved and grateful to the people that helped make us the number one City board on the net. Whether we will reach those heights again, only time will tell; but we're rather hopeful that this time around, people will get on with enjoying using the site for what it is and leave us to quietly and unobtrusively run it in the background, thus benefitting everyone in the City community.

Hope this answers any questions and helps clear up a few misconceptions.
Cheers,
Steh
« Last Edit: 03 March 2008, 12:56:54 AM by The Pupi »
Red makes women look cheap and men look effeminate.

Dizzy

Re: The (Chequered) History of Talkin' City Dot Com
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2010, 09:10:47 AM »

2095 views and no replies - so thought I'd be the first!
This was the first ever City board I posted on and I'm glad it's still here.  :)

Glasgow Man City

« Reply #2 on: 07 February 2011, 04:57:17 PM »

This was the 2nd City board I started posting on, and began to feel at home when the board fell apart - as much to do with some posters as the owners personal lives if I remember correctly.

Was delighted to see the board back  when it returned but have never really got back into posting as much, only reading.  Going to try & get that sorted though.

John

jds

• Let's not get carried away
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2011, 11:34:18 PM »

Still very quiet on here but Wookie's seems to be down to a few regular posters these days as well.

I guess most of us just found other things to do..... ? Everyone with the time to post essays seems to have a blog, a facebook page etc now.
Steady... steady....

The Pupi

• Supreme Shithouse Cleaner
  • Administrator
    • Erm... this one! Talkin' City
« Reply #4 on: 13 February 2011, 06:24:14 PM »

Yes it's all about the instant gratification of tweeting and the like now. Maybe I'm getting old, but I'm just not into the tweety facebook I just had breakfast, yum, 6 people like this, thing. I still dream about finding the time to entirely redo the site but it just doesn't seem worth the hassle because we don't have any users. Yet, despite this, I'd still miss TC if it wasn't around. Doesn't make sense does it?!!!
Red makes women look cheap and men look effeminate.

PeterT

« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2011, 06:03:01 PM »

Doesn't make sense does it?!!!

Makes perfect sense. Some of us just can't seem to delete it from favourites.