Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: In the spirit of old TC - some poetry!  (Read 11010 times)

The Pupi

• Supreme Shithouse Cleaner
  • Administrator
    • Erm... this one! Talkin' City
In the spirit of old TC - some poetry!
« on: 06 February 2008, 02:28:49 AM »

A starter for ten...

Ode to a Man Uni£ed Fan

My Favourite Bands Oasis,
Boddingtons my Brew.
I’m Manchester in all my tastes.
That’s why I cry Man U

I’ve been Man U, Since 92
Through the ups and ups.
I’ll be Man U, Until the end.
(If they keep winning cups)

And Man Uni£ed's in my blood,
Its is my given right.
My Grannies, step niece twice removed,
Once stayed there: over night.

I’M Man Uni£ed in my heart,
I’m Man U to the grain.
( I also live in London town
And speak like Michael Caine )

By  David Mitchell
Red makes women look cheap and men look effeminate.

Dizzy

Re: In the spirit of old TC - some poetry!
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2008, 09:11:48 AM »

;D @ the £ sign in United!

petrusha

« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2008, 10:31:30 AM »

In the old days, when TC was considered by some a forbidding and elitist board, the thread that was held up as exemplifying it was often referred to as the "Russian poetry thread", so here's some (though it wasn't actually about Russian poetry, it was about the difficulty of translating poetry - the examples I gave were in Russian because that's what I happen to know best!).

Anyway, as promised, some Pushkin (in translation, which doesn't begin to do it justice, of course - new TC obviously doesn't support Cyrillic script!):

I loved you

I loved you, and I probably still do,
And for a while the feeling may remain...
But let my love no longer trouble you,
I do not wish to cause you any pain.
I loved you; and the hopelessness I knew,
The jealousy, the shyness - though in vain -
Made up a love so tender and so true
As may God grant you to be loved again.

The Pupi

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 06 February 2008, 04:51:05 PM »

I've got a Pushkin selected works book, like a "greatest hits" I suppose... Translated of course!

petrusha

« Reply #4 on: 06 February 2008, 07:49:25 PM »

I've got a Pushkin selected works book, like a "greatest hits" I suppose... Translated of course!

Pushkin is just magnificent.  Sometimes it really comes across in the translation too, but the Russian even has an extra dimension - hard to describe, because generally it's not complex or showy language or structures but pretty simple, very direct and absolutely beautiful, really just hits the nail on the head with no embellishment needed.  The poem I posted above is a statement to a lost love, lost because she's rejected him, expressing how pure and sincere his feelings are for her but genuinely wishing her to find someone else who feels that way.  The original is so spare, but honest and disarming, that it has a glorious beauty.  The translation I posted does basically convey the meaning and -preserves the meter and rhyme pattern of the original - which is actually very, very hard to do, so credit to the translator, because I couldn't get near - but it's still not the same.  Hard to explain, really.

An aside, but can I just say here, without wanting to be obsequious, that I find our very own canadablue similar in the sense that his poetry is accessible and unpretentious (in the good sense of the term, rather than as a euphemism for plain, which it certainly isn't), while being honest and coming from within.  I probably don't read enough poetry, but when I do, those are the qualities I look for.  As an aside, can I just thank canada for the wonderful Swift tribute I just read after following the link from the front page.  (And off topic, but if anyone wants to read a family view on big Swifty, then go to the Blackpool Gazette website here: http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sports-news/Swift39s-legacy-is-in-safe.3747378.jp     

Incidentally, Pupi, I remember on Old TC, back in the dim and distant, you posted an extract from a Pushkin poem that you'd given your wife on your wedding day.  No longer recall what it was, but I'm sure you did (or else I'm rapidly losing the plot!).

Now doesn't this feel like early days TC?!  One of the old buffers rambling on about poetry.  Wilkinson, old chap, pour me a brandy, please!

The Pupi

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 06 February 2008, 08:20:36 PM »

Incidentally, Pupi, I remember on Old TC, back in the dim and distant, you posted an extract from a Pushkin poem that you'd given your wife on your wedding day.  No longer recall what it was, but I'm sure you did (or else I'm rapidly losing the plot!).

That's right Peter, indeed I did. I can't remember exactly which poem it was now though if I'm honest. Franchesca always keeps stuff like that and probably still has the card somewhere so I'll find out cos it's got me wondering now!  ::)

Kippax Cat

« Reply #6 on: 06 February 2008, 08:51:45 PM »

Wahey..a Poetry Thread!

I'm not familiar with Pushkin at all, but on the basis of the one you posted Peter, I'm tempted to seek him out.  It strikes a chord!

I like the United one too, for different reasons of course.  I may print that out and slip it into the "post" of the Sales Manager at work.  The devout Red who asked me this morning who City are playing this weekend!! I kid you not..........he did the same thing a couple of years ago too. ::)

(PS u old romantic Pupps!  ;) )
Come ON City!

canadablue

« Reply #7 on: 06 February 2008, 09:52:54 PM »

Pushkin is fine, but I know no Russian so don't know which translations are the closest. Thanks Peter for the unsolicited comments - I want my poetry to be read by more than just English teachers/lecturers/Profs and yet have a depth to it which comes back to the reader later.

As I'm rushing to do revisions on my next book, I hope you'll forgive me for not partaking too much in this thread as I'm just "over-poetried" at the moment, as well as being way behind on e-mails to many people who've had to take a back seat to the book deadline. If I hadn't got Norovirus in England, and complications, at Christmas, the book would have been done, but I was hors de combat (hey - get him!) for about a month which delayed everything, and my editor in Montreal is over-extended too, so it's like the last frenzied bit of a cup-tie trying to put everything right with only injury time left.

It's just great for me to see the TC style back - comfortably relaxing and friendly, as well as interesting.

petrusha

« Reply #8 on: 07 February 2008, 06:47:03 AM »

Thanks Peter for the unsolicited comments - I want my poetry to be read by more than just English teachers/lecturers/Profs and yet have a depth to it which comes back to the reader later.

I thought I'd 'big you up', as it were, because I know you have a new book in the pipeline!

As I'm rushing to do revisions on my next book, I hope you'll forgive me for not partaking too much in this thread as I'm just "over-poetried" at the moment, as well as being way behind on e-mails to many people who've had to take a back seat to the book deadline. If I hadn't got Norovirus in England, and complications, at Christmas, the book would have been done, but I was hors de combat (hey - get him!) for about a month which delayed everything, and my editor in Montreal is over-extended too, so it's like the last frenzied bit of a cup-tie trying to put everything right with only injury time left.

We'll for give you for not being too active in the thread, but if it's anyhthing like Old TC, this will linger for ages so we expect to see more of you when you've time.  Good luck with getting everything done! 

Pushkin is fine, but I know no Russian so don't know which translations are the closest.

Hard to say - going back to the topic of THAT thread on Old TC, translating poetry is a very difficult business.  A purely literal conveyance of the meaning, but without an attempt also to reflect the other poetic elements will just be flat and lifeless in another language.  On the other hand, it's very hard to preserve the exact meaning or tone while also managing the rhyme and metre.  There are some brilliant translations which do manage it to the extent that it's polssible, usually by translators who are gifted poets themselves (I'm thinking, particularly, of Pasternak's translations of Shakespeare, which we only have because he needed to make some money somehow and Stalin's censors wouldn't let him publish his 'bourgeois' poetry!).  But very often, in such a translation, even though the result may be of great beauty, the poet-translator has had to take such licence that the translated poem is actually a new poem in itself, based on rather than a translation of the original.  Anyway, I'll stop rambling here or this board will be getting a reputation again!

It's just great for me to see the TC style back - comfortably relaxing and friendly, as well as interesting.

I agree.  And it's the only board on which I'd make a post like this!  Though not all would think that's a good thing!

canadablue

« Reply #9 on: 08 February 2008, 12:35:19 AM »

A world gone mad.
Is it a world gone mad?
But still the swallows bring the summer back.
Chatter and peck and beak and claw
Fly, fly a thousand times
But cast some of the weakest from the nest,
A bird can do so much, only so much.
Chatter and peck and beak and claw
And guard the little hell against all comers.
Thus the swallows bring the summer back
Into a world gone mad.

- Patricia Doubell

Not the biggest or greatest poem, but thought I'd try it out as I just came across it while looking for something else.

watford

« Reply #10 on: 07 March 2008, 01:53:27 PM »

Here's a poem by wallace stevens called the man with the blue guitar ,it features in a shortened version the first part that is on the London Underground Poster Series poems on the underground but here is the full version.

The Man With The Blue Guitar

One

The man bent over his guitar,
A shearsman of sorts. The day was green.

They said, "You have a blue guitar,
You do not play things as they are."

The man replied, "Things as they are
Are changed upon the blue guitar."

And they said to him, "But play, you must,
A tune beyond us, yet ourselves,

A tune upon the blue guitar,
Of things exactly as they are."

Two

I cannot bring a world quite round,
Although I patch it as I can.

I sing a hero's head, large eye
And bearded bronze, but not a man,

Although I patch him as I can
And reach through him almost to man.

If a serenade almost to man
Is to miss, by that, things as they are,

Say that it is the serenade
Of a man that plays a blue guitar.

Three

A tune beyond us as we are,
Yet nothing changed by the blue guitar;

Ourselves in tune as if in space,
Yet nothing changed, except the place

Of things as they are and only the place
As you play them on the blue guitar,
Placed, so, beyond the compass of change,
Perceived in a final atmosphere;

For a moment final, in the way
The thinking of art seems final when

The thinking of god is smoky dew.
The tune is space. The blue guitar

Becomes the place of things as they are,
A composing of senses of the guitar.

Four

Tom-tom c'est moi. The blue guitar
And I are one. The orchestra

Fills the high hall with shuffling men
High as the hall. The whirling noise

Of a multitude dwindles, all said,
To his breath that lies awake at night.

I know that timid breathing. Where
Do I begin and end? And where,

As I strum the thing, do I pick up
That which momentarily declares

Itself not to be I and yet
Must be. It could be nothing else.

Also the first part of poem gets linked to the Picasso painting called the Old Guitarist
« Last Edit: 07 March 2008, 03:04:42 PM by watford »

canadablue

« Reply #11 on: 07 March 2008, 06:41:47 PM »

I studied that in graduate work - never in my wiuldest dreams did I suspect I'd see some Wallace Stevens on a Man City board! I love TC! Stevens is not easy at all, but has some dazzling lines. Spent his life as an insurance man in a little office in Hartford, Connecticut. Not the roarin' boy type of poet at all! His poem "Sunday Morning" is fine, but there's always an elusiveness about him which makes you wonder, as he wants, how to read it. Anyway, watford, thanks for that reminder of a poem I haven't read for must be 20 years.

BlueTherapy

• C'est moi!
« Reply #12 on: 07 March 2008, 06:59:58 PM »

Not highbrow, but a cheery one, just rediscovering these with my little niece.

She wore her yellow sun-bonnet,
She wore her greenest gown;
She turned to the south wind
And curtsied up and down.
She turned to the sunlight
And shook her yellow head,
And whispered to her neighbour:
"Winter is dead."

watford

« Reply #13 on: 08 March 2008, 06:22:36 PM »

Little Blue Eyeglasses

By: Louise Erdrich

Little blue eyeglasses,
I give you the honored task
of assisting my youngest daughter
in her work, which is to see not only
general shapes but specific details
and minute variations in the color and texture
of objects ranging from immense
(Ocean. Sky.) To very tiny.
(Invertebrate hidden at the edge of carpet)
Little blue eyeglasses,
I charge you with the solemn responsibility
of depth perception. Guide her steps
through dim corridors
and allow her to charge down
the staircase into my arms
without injury. Above all,
little blue eyeglasses,
train her eyes upon the truth
and let her eyes rest in the truth
and help her see within the truth the strength
to bear the truth.

watford

« Reply #14 on: 08 March 2008, 06:29:56 PM »

here a footie poem about times gone by hope you enjoy this one

THE GOLDEN AGE.

Rubbin' in dubbin
Tying white coloured laces
Brylcreem on hair
And strong manly faces.
Stuffing fat shin pads
Down thick woollen socks
The crowds make the journey
From coal mines and docks.
Over cobbled rough streets
They head in their droves
Past the kid and his bike
Full of 'Hovis' brown loaves.
Kick off's approaching
It's a quarter to Three
Times running short
For that last ciggie or pee.
Then out of the tunnel
The cold air hits your chest
Only goalie's wear gloves
And no one's wearing a vest.
Three inches of snow
But the game goes ahead
Only one ball per game
And it's as heavy as lead.
Just plain simple jersey's
No sponsorship names
Down to earth footballers
And memorable games.
The golden age.

By John Oliver

watford

« Reply #15 on: 08 March 2008, 06:42:49 PM »

I studied that in graduate work - never in my wildest dreams did I suspect I'd see some Wallace Stevens on a Man City board! I love TC! Stevens is not easy at all, but has some dazzling lines. Spent his life as an insurance man in a little office in Hartford, Connecticut. Not the roarin' boy type of poet at all! His poem "Sunday Morning" is fine, but there's always an elusiveness about him which makes you wonder, as he wants, how to read it. Anyway, watford, thanks for that reminder of a poem I haven't read for must be 20 years.

Glad you enjoyed ,was thinking when i posted the poem that it would be a bit high brow ?

canadablue

« Reply #16 on: 08 March 2008, 10:21:07 PM »

Some Stevens is, as you know, pretty difficult, but the quality of posters on here never ceases to amaze me and one person's highbrow is another person's Roy Keane, to mix my metaphor. The footie one is nostalgic all right, though the Hovis seems a bit dragged in, and the last line should go, and making it in a snow storm seems pushing the "it were tough in our days" theme just a bit much. And goalies only wore gloves when it was raining. But by God the details are accurate if the poetry is a bit "agricultural" as John Arlott used to say when describing a Freddie Trueman swipe for a six when he came in at number 8. The Louise E. poem is nice cool free-verse and must appeal to parents everywhere I'd think. Do you write? You may be someone I ought to know from earlier incarnations on TC or Wookies but I dunno if that's the case. Anyway, two poems with "Blue" in the title seems right, though of course Reading play in....aargh!

Kippax Cat

« Reply #17 on: 23 March 2008, 08:52:05 PM »

Would any poetry-lovers like an "almost new" copy of Philip Larkin's Collected Poems.

Free to a good home. :)
Come ON City!

canadablue

« Reply #18 on: 23 March 2008, 09:16:57 PM »

KC - generous indeed of you. I have actually two copies, as it's a kind of "bible" for me, but any TC-er who doesn't take you up is barmy. Some of the late 20th century's finest poems in English lurk in that volume. And they are often rude and never highbrow or obscure. It would be my Desert Island book (no Shakespeare or Bible) were I ever to be asked, I think, as so many of those poems are so close to me and part of my growing-up and appreciation of poetry, as well as poems I "taught" a lot in classrooms and lecture halls. And anyone who likes Larkin's poetry should read his Letters - VERY un-PC and hilarious in places, and again very rude often. And his Biography - how he juggled his three mistresses, keeping them away from and unknown to the others is simply tactically way beyond even Sven!

Dizzy

« Reply #19 on: 23 March 2008, 11:34:01 PM »

Would any poetry-lovers like an "almost new" copy of Philip Larkin's Collected Poems.

Free to a good home. :)
Am I in time KC?  If canada recommends it - and you own it - what more can I say?

Kippax Cat

« Reply #20 on: 23 March 2008, 11:34:57 PM »

Praise indeed.  It's yours if you want it.

Hee hee...I KNOW where you live! :)
Come ON City!

alfons

• There's no school like the old school!
« Reply #21 on: 24 March 2008, 08:02:47 AM »

Rats and drat... too late for the Larkin.

But in the spirit of the thread - here's a particular favourite from Seamus Heaney.

The Rescue

In drifts of sleep I came upon you
Buried to your waist in snow.
You reached your arms out: I came to
Like water in a dream of thaw
"alternates breakneck action with satire of suburban sitcom life"

Kippax Cat

« Reply #22 on: 25 March 2008, 09:51:33 PM »

Alfons you have a PM  :)
Come ON City!

canadablue

« Reply #23 on: 25 March 2008, 11:03:34 PM »

You have good taste too alfons. Amazing what the best poets can pack into a few words that leaves them inside the reader for life.

alfons

• There's no school like the old school!
« Reply #24 on: 26 March 2008, 09:03:59 AM »

Amazing what the best poets can pack into a few words that leaves them inside the reader for life.

Isn't it, and with such delicacy too.  I'm coming to like Heaney more and more with the passing years.
"alternates breakneck action with satire of suburban sitcom life"
Pages: [1] 2