Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Thoughts on Reading  (Read 9835 times)

H

Thoughts on Reading
« on: 07 March 2008, 01:55:24 PM »

I think Sven should be treating this game like a home game. Although Reading finally managed a win last week, they seriously lack confidence and motivation at home. If we can attack them with flair from the start, they could easily crumble. I think we should go for 4-4-2 and pick all our flair players. Elano will get more space and flexibility on the right wing than he has had in the middle, while Benjani and Caicedo should be mobile enough and strong enough in the air to work with wingers. Castillo has earned his start on the left too, in my opinion. The only question is whether he is fit enough yet to last 90 minutes but we can cover that with Vass and Garrido on the bench, both of whom are more effective against tired defenders.

It's all or nothing now. Draws are not much use to us in the battle for Europe. We need to win and we need to get a few goals to improve our GD. If Sven has the bottle to do it, tomorow could be fun! See you there!

watford

Re: Thoughts on Reading
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2008, 02:00:21 PM »

H'mm draw written all over this game reading will be looking for more points on the board for survival , we'll be thinking of the intertoto cup .

Tragic

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2008, 02:08:42 PM »

Attack Attack Attack...is certainly something I'd be hoping for, although I wouldn't stick Elano on the right. We tried Ralph there at Goodinson (what were they telling their Ma's and Pa's?) and he was awful, easily the worst game I've seen from him since he joined. So I would prefer to see him stick in the middle but pushed MUCH further forwards than he has been playing of late.

We have enough attacking flair to sort them out, one thing IF Ireland is to play...then on the right please Sven he is (was) bloody awful on the left. Given that Ned will be missing with a slight knock we may even opt for 3-5-2 (3-4-3) with Garrido and Vaz (or Sun) as Wing Backs? Bendyerknee might like someone in close support of him and two strikers should cause them problems especially if we can get Elano/Johnson in the game in and around their box...

Should be an interesting day out that's for certain.

ctid
City fan since birth, first match in '81, season ticket holder since '91 & glory hunter since '11...

canadablue

« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2008, 06:33:24 PM »

Wish you were managing them Tragic old lad! Nice ideas which Sven might, I fear, be a bit too timid to try. Or to try for long enough before the innate Scandi caution re-asserts itself. I like the guy, but I wish the fire in his loins would creep up to his belly.

dennis the menace

« Reply #4 on: 07 March 2008, 07:18:59 PM »

I cant see Sven dropping Vas. And considering he was possibly our best player against Wigan then fair enough.

So that'll be Vassell on the right.

I agree that Castillo should be given ago on the left, as Ireland was indeed awful.

How we will line up in defence is anyones guess, but I suspect it will be Sun in for Ned, but with Corluka moving to central defence.

Possibly:

Hart

Sun   Corluka     Dunne     Ball

Hamann

Vas    Johnson    Fernandez    Castillo

Benjani

Ged

« Reply #5 on: 07 March 2008, 07:27:57 PM »

Got to be happy with a draw from this one as Reading are no mugs.
What do you mean they lost seven or eight in a row? It was just a blip. We don't want to go winning games against struggling, hard working teams. No, no no, that would never do.

jds

• Let's not get carried away
« Reply #6 on: 07 March 2008, 09:17:30 PM »

Ged, you must be the only bloke I know who slits his wrists before kick off.

Hart

Ball Corluka Dunne Garrido

Vassell Fernandes Johnson Castillo

Elano

Benjani

It's not the team that'll make a difference anyway, it's the way they're told to play. For instance, "have a shot if you get a chance" could be a top tip, rather than "keep the ball at all costs, even if it means giving it to the defence to play with for ten minutes".
Steady... steady....

BlueTherapy

• C'est moi!
« Reply #7 on: 07 March 2008, 09:46:39 PM »

Reading, town with many roundabouts.  I trust whoever is driving has the A-Z sussed, a flask, plenty of werthers originals and has remembered to fill the car with £5 a gallon.

Team who knows, result wise I'll settle for a draw.  Goals, goals, well if we can get a couple then fantastic, and as for coppell  :-\

Paul

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 07 March 2008, 09:51:59 PM »

This is Allan's "must win" game of the season, as all his college mates are Reading fans (and in some cases ex academy players). In the game earlier this season he was sitting head in hands when Ireland scored in injury time, fearing Monday morning.

I think we'll play like we alwasy do away, can't see any reason to change it either. reading won't have a go at us right away, but they really need to win, which should in the end suit us.

I reckon the team will see Hamman back.

Hart
Sun Corluka Dunne Ball
             Hamman
Ireland  Fernandes Johnson
               Elano
              Benjani

2-1 City again.

The Pupi

• Supreme Shithouse Cleaner
  • Administrator
    • Erm... this one! Talkin' City
« Reply #9 on: 07 March 2008, 10:00:05 PM »

I think it's good for kids to read. Keegan's into dinosaurs and even though I can't pronounce most of the names properly, he knows them all and is coming on a treat. His writing's not so clever though...

Must win game this, for me. Draw or lose and our season's all but over. With just our "cup final" victories to remember it by. Again.
Red makes women look cheap and men look effeminate.

jds

« Reply #10 on: 07 March 2008, 10:03:25 PM »

I also don't see any reason for us to change the way we play away from home against teams like Reading - we should be able to do teams like this 1 or 2-0 just by stopping them attacking.

It's at home where we need to come out all guns blazing. 4-4-1-1 is fine away, as long as Sven's well-drilled robots are programmed to shoot once every few minutes.
Steady... steady....

canadablue

« Reply #11 on: 07 March 2008, 10:39:23 PM »

I suspect they get fined for shooting more than once in a game. Or perhaps if more than two players appear simultaneously in the opposition's penalty area.

I hope Dunne squashes that dirty little sod Hunt.

We should play them as if, as we are, we're superior and not be timid IMHO. Not Vassell again please.

I need me mug of tea and t'kettle's boiling.

Paul

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 07 March 2008, 10:46:46 PM »

Not Vassell again please.

Amen to that.

jds

« Reply #13 on: 07 March 2008, 10:51:53 PM »

Steady... steady....

Opacity

« Reply #14 on: 08 March 2008, 08:39:44 AM »

Reading are in trouble but not miles adrift of the others in the bottom 6 so will probably be more scared of losing than needing to win. I reckon it will be a tense opening 20 mins and the first goal could really see how the game pans out. If Reading score first I would surprised if they did anything other than get everyone behind the ball. If we score first they will have to come after us so anything could happen then. 0 - 0 I reckon.

jds

« Reply #15 on: 08 March 2008, 08:56:05 AM »

Incidentally... anyone else noticed that if Reading win today and Newcastle lose at Liverpool, Coppel's men leapfrog out of the bottom three and above Beaten Kev?
Steady... steady....

Kippax Cat

« Reply #16 on: 08 March 2008, 09:26:49 AM »

I'm battening down the hatches, breaking open the biscuits and preparing myself for another Everton/Wigan stylee frustration.

Reading need it more than we do (ahem!) and we've looked very "can't be arsed" recently and hardly create anything (I'll create something later if we don't turn up again)

However, Sven did acknowledge last week his tactics weren't up to much, so maybe he'll have had a road to Domestos moment and we'll come out all guns blazing. 

As was mentioned earlier, if they go ahead I suspect that will be it.  :-\
Come ON City!

BlueTherapy

• C'est moi!
« Reply #17 on: 08 March 2008, 04:59:37 PM »

well that wasn't very good was it?

jds

« Reply #18 on: 08 March 2008, 05:01:54 PM »

However, Sven did acknowledge last week his tactics weren't up to much, so maybe he'll have had a road to Domestos moment and we'll come out all guns blazing. 

And he changed nothing.
Steady... steady....

Kippax Cat

« Reply #19 on: 08 March 2008, 05:04:23 PM »

Woeful!  I'm appalled at the way we just lost interest when they went one up.  Spineless. No fight or desire!!!  Grrrr!

The injuries and suspensions are worrying me now. Wasn't that Didi's 10th yellow?  :(

Spot on JDS.  If we can see it, why can't he?
Come ON City!

BlueTherapy

• C'est moi!
« Reply #20 on: 08 March 2008, 05:09:55 PM »

Well KC he said he wasn't worried about Elano's form so erm Plan B or C I don't see anytime soon  :(

jds

« Reply #21 on: 08 March 2008, 05:20:19 PM »

Woeful!  I'm appalled at the way we just lost interest when they went one up.  Spineless. No fight or desire!!!  Grrrr!

The injuries and suspensions are worrying me now. Wasn't that Didi's 10th yellow?  :(

Spot on JDS.  If we can see it, why can't he?

He obviously can, after what he said last weekend. Which is baffling.
Steady... steady....

Kippax Cat

« Reply #22 on: 08 March 2008, 05:21:16 PM »

Well KC he said he wasn't worried about Elano's form so erm Plan B or C I don't see anytime soon 

This is what bugs me actually.  Elano!  Great player but seemingly impossible to incorporate into any other formation.  It's wicked if he's on fire, but mostly for a long time now he hasnt been.

Where the feck is Giovanni??  Oh I'm going for a lie down before I go off into "rant " mode!

Very, VERY disappointed of North Bury!  :(

(PS which French woman are you, the Z one or the H one?  ;))
Come ON City!

Kippax Cat

« Reply #23 on: 08 March 2008, 05:24:41 PM »

Maybe he meant "home" tactics and thinks he HAS to go 4-5-1 away.  Although lawd knows what formation they were trying at times today.

???
Come ON City!

jds

« Reply #24 on: 08 March 2008, 05:28:31 PM »

Maybe he meant "home" tactics and thinks he HAS to go 4-5-1 away.  Although lawd knows what formation they were trying at times today.

???
Dunno, honestly, we've been poor away from home for large parts of the season - 4-5-1 was top notch against manu, but in other games it's been awful. It's a counter attacking formation which is useless if we can't counter attack. All Wigan and Everton have done recently is sit back and watch us burn ourselves out. When we then have to go out and get at teams, we don't seem able to do it. We haven't got the players to vary the play yet, especially with Petrov out.
Steady... steady....
Pages: [1] 2